Thursday, September 27, 2012

Classes Started!

So this ends my first week of school here. Turns out there isn't a lot that needs to be said except that I don't have a lot of it. Here the classes consist of a two hour lecture period and an hour seminar. While one of the classes I'm taking is a politics classes, unfortunately there is mostly international students in my two other classes. I'll have to be more outgoing at all of the pubs during the week! I have class on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday. No joke.

There isn't a lot of weekly homework, just a lot of reading which is anxious in itself. Instead of giving us a book list and us going out to buy the books, we're supposed to check them out of the library. However, since there are 20 other people trying to check out the same book, at the same time, they're only available on a short term loan- a couple of hours or the night at the most. Some books aren't allowed to leave the library. I'm deciding of it's worth it to just go in together on some of the books my flatmates need as well and just buying them on amazon.

I'm talking three classes, or modules, on top of the BCA signature class Gavin is teaching us. Introduction to Speaking Irish, Irish Folklore and Traditions, and Silent War: institutional violence against civilians. The signature course is about the Northern Irish conflict and the peace process that has happened and exploring how this could impact all of us in our attempts to solve conflict in our own lives. I love all of the these classes. However, Silent War was cancelled the first day due to "staff illness", so hopefully he gets better and I wont have to find another class.

I'm already becoming fluent in Gaelige, or Gaelic, so I'll end this with some:
Dia's Muire duit - God and Mary be with you
Cad e mae ata tu? - How are you?
Slan go foill! - Safe for now! or Goodbye for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment